Applications of Dc generators
Applications of dc generators … nowadays cheap and economical rectifiers and filters grant a new life to Dc generators and give them a great importance in all fields around us and it also leads to diversity so there are many types of Dc generators which we illustrated and which has many applications and that’s what we will explain today.
Before we talk separately about applications of each type of Dc generators; I should put your hand on general applications of Dc generators in electrolytic processes, welding processes, variable speed motor drives and:
- In factories which need a large amount of current to produce aluminum, chlorine, and similar industrial materials.
- In locomotives and ships which are driven by diesel-electric motors.
- As well as electric razors, remote control cars, electric car windows, Flat-screen TVs, and other unlimited uses.
Applications of separately excited Dc generators:
From the name separate our mind think in the external source required to supply the needed field magnet winding current which may be:
- Controlled rectifier
- Diode rectifier
- Or another Dc source
And that makes us think in cost; that’s right as separately excited Dc generators need another external source, it would be more expensive than the other types, so separately excited Dc generators are used where self-excited one unsatisfactory so they are used where it’s important to have quick and response control.
Applications of Separately excited Dc generators:
- In Ward-Leonard systems of speed control because of the availability of lower voltages.
- For testing purposes in laboratories, which need a wide range of voltage output
- As a supply source of Dc motors because the property to operate in a stable condition with any field excitation.
- Where the characteristics of quickness and responsive are important during work.
- As an excitation source for large alternators in power generation station.
- And they are also used as auxiliary and emergency power supplies.
Applications of the shunt wound Dc generators:
Shunt wound generators may be self-excited or separately excited depending upon the Dc source used for starting it and it’s dropping voltage characteristic.
And as well as approx it has constant terminal voltage from no load to full load so those generators used where a constant voltage is required.
applications of Shunt wound generators:
- For the efficient work of the electrical appliances as the regulator helps to maintain the workable voltage.
- In elector plating.
- For general lighting purposes.
- To charge batteries because they give a constant output voltage.
- To provide excitation for alternators.
- And also for small power supply.
Applications of series wound Dc generators:
As the name explains; these generators carry a constant amount of current for a constant load, but it makes the series generator work with limited applications as a constant power source.
Applications of Series wound Dc generators :
- In Dc locomotives for regenerative braking to provide field excitation current.
- With distribution networks as a booster that helps to increase the voltage.
- In series arc lighting and heavy power supply.
- In Offices, hotels, homes, schools and other applications supplied by flat compound generators
- For the arc welding purpose.
Applications of compound Dc generators:
As we explain before compound generator is a combination of both series and shunt Dc generator and it may be connected in
- Long shunt compound generator
- Short shunt compound generator
So it gives compound generators wide usage in:
- Small distance operation such as supplying hotels, offices, homes, and lodges.
- Regulating the voltage for a broad variety of load range
- Adjusting the characteristics of the generator to compensate the drop in resistance and accordingly provide a constant voltage supply.
- Arc welding to regulate the voltage drop and give constant current.
- Feeders to compensate the voltage drop.
- Lighting, power supply purposes, and heavy power services because of their constant voltage property.
And also to supply power for:
- Railway circuit
- Electrified railroad motors
- Many industries as industrial motors
- Elevator motors
- Incandescent lamps.
- Driving a motor.
Finally, if you like this article please share